Article by: Charles M. |
Last Modified: 2016-03-25 00:32:20
Solved: How to reset a difficult Linksys WRT120N Router to default Settings
There is a well known problem with resetting Linksys WRT120N to factory default settings which appears to come from its
original firmware. There is a solution for the problem. There are other known problems with older/origina firmware described in this post - Update Firmware on your Linksys Wrt120n Router -. Now you can reset your linksys wrt120n with simple steps.
The problem: When you try to reset linksys wrt120n to default by pressing the back button, it does not work! Even
if you try the 30/30/30 method to factory reset.
The solution for the problem : How to Reset Linksys wrt120n to default settings
- Ensure your computer IP configuration is set to default settings. See: How to change ip
- Download the latest firmware from Linksys: http://www.linksys.com/us/support-article?articleNum=148623
- Disconnect the router from power, hold the reset button with a pen or a pin, and plug in the router while still holding
the reset button.
- Launch your favourite browser, for me Mozila Firefox, and open http://192.168.1.1 (default linksys router ip).
- Click on the "Browse" button to locate the firmware file you downloaded from Linksys (Step 2 above). See Fig1 below:
Fig1: Click on Browse and locate the firmware you downloaded, select it and click apply.
Fig2: Wait for it to process and finish. Once done, it will display as shown on Fig1 above.
- Once the update is complete, switch the linksys router off by unpluging it.
- Wait for about 30 secs and plug the linksys wrt120n back in.
- Hold the reset button on the back of the router for about 30 seconds. The power button will blink indicating that it has
rest (if it doesn't blink, don't trouble yourself ;) - just proceed to the next step).
- Give the linksys wrt120n about 1-2 minutes before proceeding to next step.
- Open your browser (Firefox or Internet Explorer) and navigate to http://192.168.1.1
- When asked for login information, leave the username field blank and enter "admin" for the password (no quotes!).
Fig3: You can now login and do your thing with your Linksys wrt120n Router. Its now reset to default
Your Linksys wrt120n is now reset to the factory default settings! If you like this post, share it with your friends.
[2011-08-13] hei says:
[2011-10-18] kevin says:
reset my wireless password
[2011-10-27] og says:
i nid help reseting my router would apreciate ne assistance.. thanks in advance
[2012-02-10] clintan says:
i hv linksys wrt120n router , i hv factory reset it now my default password is not working so i can\'t access it but router is working fine so what i hv to do now
[2012-02-24] MrBill says:
This doesnt work, the wrt20n is a piece of sh1t.
[2012-05-12] NewGuy says:
Excellent recommendation. Perfect fit
[2016-05-17] g.swamy says:
my problema also one issuse there is forget username & password these is resolved 9581819267
[2016-08-11] Mike says:
Try connecting the the "Linksys" open wifi network after doing this factory reset stuff. That's the only way I could connect.
[2017-04-08] Thom says:
I have tried every single method I can find. NOTHING is working to allow me to reset this WRT120N. Everything looks to go as all the tuts say it should, except the login after it's all done. It still says wrong login. The network name also still shows up as the old one I am trying to get rid of. I simply can't get this router to reset to factory.
[2017-08-31] Mike K says:
I had the same problem where even after the factory reset, I could not log in. I was using FireFox. I decided to try logging in with Chrome, AND IT WORKED! So my answer is, try a different browser.
Post your Comments